Open Access Biomedical Publisher Using Post Publication Peer Review
Director Pigment Cell Center
Iyengar Farm, Brijwasan Road, PO Kapashera, India 110037
Name : Dr. Bhanu Iyengar
Nationality : Indian
Permanent Address : Iyengar Farm, Brijwasan Road, Kapashera PO, New
Delhi 110 037. INDIA.
Telephone Number : 91-11-25063433
Academic Qualifications: M.B.B.S., M.D. (Path), Ph. D. (Path), FAMS
Fields of Specialization : Diagnostic and Research Pathology, Routine and Special,
Pathology:Autopsy and Museum.
ACADEMIC CAREER :
1. Elected Fellow of National Academy of Medical Sciences (India) : 1994
2. University of Delhi : Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D. Path.) : 1984.
Subject : Pathology.
3. University of Delhi : Doctor of Medicine (MD. Path) 1967.
4. University of Delhi : Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) : 1961.
Subject : Medical Sciences. Stood 1st in the University. Distinction in Preventive and Social Medicine. Gold Medal in Surgery.
5. University of Delhi : Intermediate (Science) Premedical Group : 1956.
Subject : Physics, Chemistry, Biology. Passed in 1st Division.
6. University of Cambridge : Overseas Senior School certificate : 1954.
Subject : Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics with Additional Maths, English and Hindi. Passed in 1st Division, Distinction in Chemistry.
1. Director, Pigment Cell Centre, Delhi.
2. Chair Sciences: World Assembly: Tobacco Counters Health [WATCH] [2004 – 2007]
3. WHO: Principle Investigator, Project: “Cancer Control with Community Participation”, at Vishnu Namn Bhrigu Medical Trust, Uttarkashi, Uttaranchal. [2003 – 2005].
4. Professor and Head of Department, Pathology, Dr.RPG Medical College,Kangra at Tanda, Himachal Pradesh.[1.1.1999 – 31.3.2002].
5. Director, Institute of Pathology(ICMR), New Delhi.[1.1.1992-31.5.1998].
6. Deputy Director, Institute of Pathology(ICMR),New Delhi. [9.2.1983-31.12.1992].
7. Associate Professor, Department of Pathology, Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi.[1.1.1983-8.2.1985].
8. Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi. [27.2.1980-31.12.1983].
9. Lecturer, Department Of Pathology, Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi. 9.6.1969-26.2.1980].
10. Demonstrator, Department of Pathology, Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi. [1.1.1963-8.6.1969].
11. Resident in Surgery, Lady Hardinge Medical College and Hospital, New Delhi. [Jan-June 1962]
12. Resident in Medicine, Lady Hardinge Medical College and Hospital, New Delhi. [June-Dec 1962]
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE :
At Maulana Azad Madical College, New Delhi:
1. Undergraduate teaching:
2. Post-Graduate teaching :
At Institute of Pathology [ICMR]:
1. Postgraduate Teaching:
The following Teaching Programmes were established by me at the Institute of Pathology.
At Dr. Rajendra Prasad Government Medical College, Kangra at Tanda, Hiimachal Pradesh:
As Founder Professor and Head of Department:
1. Set up the Diagnostic Histopathology Department, to serve as an infrastructure for undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and research.
2. Set up the Museum, Teaching slide set and a collection of wet specimen.
3. Designed the interiors of the various laboratories for the College as well as for the Hospital complex.
Total Teaching Experience
Undergraduate: 1963 to 1983 and 1999 to 2002 : 23y 3m
Postgraduate : 1967 till date : 41y
Theses Supervised: 39 [15 related to Pigment Cell Biology] :
As Director, Pigment Cell Centre:
1. Consultant and Research on Pigment Cells
1. UICC-TPCC: Telepathology Services: Expert for Neuropathology and Dermatopathology
2. Chair Sciences for the World Assembly for Tobacco Counters Health: WATCH 2004, 2005 & 2007.
3. Consultant for Neuropathology to National Brain Research Centre [NBRC]
Total No. of Publications/abstracts/presentations :340+ (National and International)
Published one book; 2 Chapters.
Published one Atlas for undergraduates with a slide set.
Prepared 6 undergraduate Pathology Teaching sets.
1. Member New York Academy of Sciences.
2. Member AAAS
2. Member Pan American Society for Pigment Cell Research.(PASPCR)
3. Member, International Academy of Pathology(Indian Division)
4. Member of International society for Environmental Toxicology and Cancer (MISETC).
5. Life Member Association of International Union Against Cancer [UICC] Fellows.
6. Cleared part I of the Membership of Royal College of Pathologists (MRC Path).
1. Elected Fellow of National Academy of Medical Sciences
2. Life Member of the Indian Association of Pathologists and Microbiologists (IAPM).
3. Life Member, Indian Association of Cancer Research
4. Life Member, Indian Science Congress Association
5. Life Member of Academy of Biomedical Scientists.
1. ICRETT Fellowship [UICC] to set up the whole skin organ culture at the Experimental Dermatology Division of Neuroscience Department of Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. 2002.
2. Dr. TB Patel Oration Award: In the field of Neurobiology and Pigment Cell Biology, awarded by the Gujarat Cancer Society, Ahmedabad.
3. Orissa Chapter Dr Bhagabati Acharya Oration Award Delivered Oration “Embryomas” at the Indian Association of Pathologists & Microbiologists (Orissa Chapter) held at Berhampur. 1995
4. Deputation under the INSA-HAS, Exchange of Scientists Programme to the 1st Institute of Pathology and Experimental Cancer Research, Semmelweis University, Hungary 1985.
5. A short term Visiting Fellowship to the Cell Biology Division, Cancer Research Institute, Bombay (ICMR) 1977.
6. Yoshida-Yamagiva cancer Fellowship [UICC] awarded for one year to work under Prof Yoshida [Nobel Laureate] on erythroporomas at Tokyo, Japan, 1973. [Could not avail the Fellowship due to unavoidable circumstances]
7. President’s Silver Medal for standing first in Delhi University in Final MBBS: 1961
8. Grace Lukose Gold Medal for Surgery: Final MBBS 1961.
9. Lady Wellington Medal for Distinction in Preventive and Social Medicine: Final MBBS 1961.
10. Kamla Ghosh Prize for Best student in Final MBBS: 1960-1961.
11. Haksar Prize for being most sympathetic to patients: Final MBBS 1961.
12. First Prize in Clinical Surgery: Final MBBS 1961.
13. Preventive and Social Medicine: Final MBBS 1961.
14. Merit in Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology, Clinical Medical Medicine.
I think the idea is novel and exciting and hope that it catches the imagination of the scientific community and is successful.
All site content, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution License