Open Access Biomedical Publisher Using Post Publication Peer Review
Consultant Paediatrician and Head Department of Pa St Stephens Hospital
Tis Hazari India 110054
* M. Phil. (Hospital and Health Systems Management, 2002, Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani.
Major subjects included Health Management and Strategic Planning, Epidemiology and Statistics, Health Economics, Financial Management, Project Management and Management Information Systems.
* M.R.C.P. (Paediatrics), 1995,RoyalCollegeof Physicians (UK).
* Certification of Specialist Training in Paediatrics, 1998, General Medical Council,UK, 4050449.
* M.D. (Paediatrics), 1981,UniversityofJabalpur.
* M.B.B.S., 1977,UniversityofJabalpur.
1 Apr 1997-date: Consultant Paediatrician and Head of Paediatrics, St Stephens Hospital,Delhi.
1 Aug. 2004-30 July 2005: Consultant Paediatrician,WestMiddlesexUniversityHospital, London.(One year sabbatical)
28 Oct 1996-31Mar 1997: Consultant Paediatrician (Locum), Dewsbury Health CareTrust,UK
18 Sep 1996-28Oct 1996: Locum Senior Registrar in Paediatrics,Preston Hospital,UK 1 Aug. 1994-30Aug 1996: Registrar in Paediatrics, St. Mary’s Hospital,ManchesterUK
Aug. 1993-Jul. 1994: Tutor in Paediatrics,UniversityHospitalof SouthManchester. UK
Jun. 1991-July 1993: Registrar in Paediatrics,WestSuffolkHospitalBury St. Edmunds.UK
Nov 1981–June 1991: Consultant Paediatrician,Medical Trust HospitalCochinIndia
July 1979–July 1981: Resident in Paediatrics,MedicalCollegeJabalpurMadhya PradeshIndia.
Immunization policy, Health economics and policy, Type 1 diabetes, Research Ethic
Publications1. Caution needed in using oral polio vaccine beyond the cold chain: vaccine vial monitors may be unreliable at high temperatures.2. Polio programme: let us declare victory and move on.3. Nebulized Hypertonic-Saline vs Epinephrine for Bronchiolitis Proof-of-Concept Study by Cumulative Sum (CUSUM) Analysis.4. Trypanosoma lewisi or T. lewisi-like infection in a 37-day-old Indian infant.5. Sex ratio at birth in India, its relation to birth order, sex of previous children and use of indigenous medicine.6. Cost of pneumococcal vaccine underestimated ten-fold.7. Comparison of alert verbal painful unresponsiveness scale and the Glasgow Coma Score.8. CUSUM for monitoring competency: computer software is useful for bootstrapping and real-time CUSUM plotting.9. Ondansetron-induced dystonia, hypoglycemia, and seizures in a child.10. Introducing pentavalent vaccine in the EPI in India: a counsel for caution.11. GAVI (Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation) and WHO. Demanding accountability.12. "Antivaccine lobby" replies to the BMJ.13. NTAGI recommendations overlooked crucial ICMR data.14. Evidence-based National Vaccine Policy.15. Respiratory viruses in acute bronchiolitis in Delhi.
Honours / Distinctions:
* Sir James Flett Gold Medal of theIndianAcademyof Paediatrics, 1981, for outstanding research in drug abuse among adolescents
* Trainee Fellowship in Neonatology, 1984, of theIndianAcademyof Paediatrics
* Invited Guest Lecture at St Georges Medical School: Invited to deliver guest lecture on ‘Evidence Based Medicine & Health Economics.’
* Doctoral Committee of National Institute of Immunology for research project under Dr Pramod Upadhyaya
* PhD Examiner for evaluation of doctoral thesis, Jawaharlal Nehru University Delhi
* Over 90 publications in internationally indexed journals including British Medical Journal, Lancet, American Journal of Perinatology, Pharmacoeconomics, Paediatrics, and Expert Review of Pharmacoeconomics Outcomes Research.
* A full listing is available on the following web sites.
(Search Pubmed for author: ‘Puliyel J’).
All site content, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution License