Jul 1997-Jan 2002: M.B.B.S, Tamil Nadu Dr.M.G.R Medical University, India.
Mar 2004–Mar 2007: M.S.(Orthopaedics) Tamil Nadu Dr.M.G.R Medical University, India
Nov 2009: MRCSEd The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
Sep 2008–Sep 2010: MSc (Evidence based medicine in Orthopaedics) Teeside University, United Kingdom (Completed all the modules and submitted thesis).
Oct 2010–Till date: Specialist Registrar Department Trauma and Orthopaedics, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, London, UK.
Mar 2009–Oct 2010: Clinical Fellow in Orthopaedics Department of Orthopaedics surgery, James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough.
Mar 2008–Feb 2009: Senior Registrar in Orthopaedics Department of Orthopaedics & Spine surgery, Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore.
Jun 2007–Feb 2008: Assistant professor in Orthopaedic surgery, Department of Orthopaedics, Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai, India.
Mar 2004–Mar 2007: Postgraduate training: Master of Surgery in Orthopaedics, Department of Orthopaedics, Madras Medical College and Government General Hospital, Chennai, India.
May 2003–Feb 2004: Medical Officer, MK Hospital, Pattukkottai, India.
Feb 2002–Apr 2003: Internship, Stanley Medical College, Madras, India.
Upper limb surgeries and trauma.
1. Recurrent carpal tunnel syndrome – Analysis of the causes and outcome after vascularised hypothenar fat pad flap surgery. Data collection completed (under Professor John Stothard).
2. Role of ulnar nerve block in the management of severely angulated fifth metacarpal fractures in trauma out-patients. Data collection on progress (under Mr S Miranda).
3. Co investigator in ‘Application of diffusion tensor imaging for quantifying severity of spinal cord compression in cervical myelopathy and nerve fibre integrity in cervical spinal cord injuries’- Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore.
4. Co investigator in Molecular and Genetic Profile of Lumbar Disc related Degenerative Diseases in Human Beings – Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore.
5. ‘Application of Classification And Regression Tree (CART) analysis in improving decisions of salvage and sequencing of treatments in challenging limb trauma – an analysis of the utility of various open injury scores’ - Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore.
Any other information:
1. Karthik K, Nanda R, Stothard J. Recurrent Carpal Tunnel Syndrome––Analysis of the Impact of Patient Personality in Altering Functional Outcome Following a Vascularised Hypothenar Fat Pad Flap Surgery. Journal of Hand and Microsurgery. Article in press. DOI 10.1007/s12593-011-0051-x.
2. Karthik K, Nanda R, Stothard J. Severe ulnar nerve entrapment at the elbow - Functional outcome after minimally invasive in- situ decompression. Journal of Hand Surgery (European). Article in press. DOI: 10.1177/1753193411416426
3. Karthik K et al; Schwannoma of the infra-patellar branch of saphenous nerve presenting with Antero-medial knee pain and tibial metaphyseal bone defect. Journal of Knee Surgery. Article in press. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1055/s-0031-1280975.
4. Karthik K, Kamath V, Rangan A. Restoration of medial hinge in acute complex proximal humeral fractures using intra-medullary strut allograft. Shoulder and Elbow (Journal of British Shoulder and Elbow Society); 2011; 3, pp 95–99.
5. Karthik K et al; Expansile lytic lesion of the calcaneum mimicking plantar fascitis, Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery. 2011 Jun; 17(2):e25-7. Epub 2010 Dec 9.
6. Karthik.K, Ajoy Prasad shetty, Rajasekaran. S, Spontaneous cord transection due to Invasive aspergillus spondylitis in an immunocompetent child. Published online in European Spine Journal, 2011 Jul;20 Suppl 2:S188-92. Epub 2010 Jul 2.
7. K. Karthik, S.R. Sundararajan, J. Dheenadhayalan, S. Rajasekaran, Incongruent reduction following post traumatic hip dislocations as an indicator of intra articular loose bodies - A prospective study of 117 dislocations. Indian Journal of orthopaedics. Jan 2011, Vol 45; 1; 33-38. (Pubmed Indexed).
8. S. Rajasekaran, K. Karthik, V. Ravi Chandra, N. Rajkumar, J. Dheenadhayalan, Role of intraoperative navigation in percutaneous excision of Osteoid Osteoma of long bones in children. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics B: March 2010 - Volume 19 - Issue 2 - pp 195-200.
Non-Indexed (Peer reviewed):
1. Kathik.K MS, Ajoy Prasad shetty MS, Dr. J. Dheenadhayalan, Rajasekaran. S PhD, Navigated Iso-C3D-based percutaneous resection of osteoid osteoma – in spine and extremities. Journal of Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association Vol 35; pg 33-41 February 2009.
2. Rajasekaran. S PhD, Kanna. RM. MS., Karthik MS, Karunanidhi. PhD, Ajoy Prasad shetty MS. Assessment of spinal cord integrity by diffusion tensor imaging –Analysis of normal spinal cord, Acute and chronic spinal cord injuries. InSpine 1-09, volume 5, pg 34-35.
3. Prof. Mayilvahanan Natarajan, Prof K. Anbalagan, Prof R.H. Govardhan, Prof. V. Thulasi Raman K. Karthik, Nalli. R. Uvaraj, R. Selvaraj; A Study on Cemented Hemiarthroplasty for Unstable Intertrochanteric Fractures in Elderly Osteoporotic Patients – Journal of Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association Vol 33; pg 57-61; February 2007.
4. Prof. V. Thulasi Raman, R. Subbiah, R. Palraj, K. Karthik; An Interesting Lesion of Calcaneum – Journal of Tamil Nadu Orthopaedic Association Vol 33; pg 166-167; February 2007.
5. Prof. Mayilvahanan Natarajan, K. Karthik, Nalli. R. Uvaraj, R. Selvaraj, R. Prabakar;A Study of Anterior Decompression and Stabilization in Tumours of Spine – Journal of Orthopaedic Association of South Indian States (JOASIS); pg 95-97, VOL 3; August 2006.
6. Prof. V. Thulasi Raman, K. Karthik S.Karunakaran; Schwannoma of Proximal Tibia A Case Report - Journal of Orthopaedic Association of South Indian States (JOASIS); pg 93-94; VOL 3; August 2006.
Manuscripts under peer review:
1. Karthik.K, Ajoy Prasad shetty, Rajasekaran. S, Intraoperative life threatening acute lung injury due to multiple septic pulmonary emboli during Kyphoplasty. Submitted to European Spine Journal.
2. Karthik K et al. Primary Cemented Hemiarthroplasty For Unstable Intertrochanteric Fractures In Elderly Osteoporotic Patients. Submitted to Strategies in Trauma and Limb Reconstruction.
Prizes And Grants Awarded:
Academic Distinctions and Prizes:
1. Highest mark in trauma and orthopaedics module (June 2009) of MSc (Evidence based Orthopaedics) in Teeside University, United Kingdom.
2. ASSI Depuy Spine Research Award 2009, Association of Spine Surgeons of India Conference (ASSICON) 2009, Chennai India.
3. Quiz winner MOS January 2007 – Madras Medical College and Government General Hospital, India.
4. Best paper award for Management of Gap Nonunion Both bone Leg - Paper presentation, Madras Orthopaedic Society November 2004 – Stanley Medical College, India.
5. National Merit Scholarship in School at 10th standard.
What I think of the idea behind WebmedCentral: